Words: A Creation of Humanity

Humans are the epitome of intriguing. Words themselves were created by humans (and continue to be created to this day), are spoken by humans and used by humans to hurt or to cherish, to hold the smallest and most irrelevant of conversations or to settle life-threatening disputes. Words in one area take the definition of words in another. Language barriers are formed by us and limit the level to which we can converse with others on a different continent or behind a different border which again, is a creation of mankind. So many things are products of our own creation: technology, reproduction, history itself, and yet words seem the most unfathomably wonderful of all. They quite literally push people to death, they provoke the deepest and darkest of emotion, and give me - right now - the capability to express myself through different sequences of the same 26 letters over and over again. Hieroglyphs and symbols are given sounds and a movement of the muscles in the mouth which are then grouped together to make words. And we give these words power over us, there are deep connotations of many and we allow such things to guide us as a society. There is taboo around "swear words" that we formed ourselves, gave meaning to ourselves, and forbade ourselves. We could explore why, why prohibited words exist and for what purpose did we create them. Or, we could accept it and bask in the simplicity that is found in forming a string of letters that can transmit and convey all manner of message and meaning. From simple sentences we have found knowledge, freedom, and opinion.

Yet opinion is a funny thing. It is a judgement about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge (according to the Oxford Dictionary). The oddest part of all is how fundamental opinions are in the human race, how we would simply lack the ability to function without opinions. If we did not make judgement, we would not make a decision on even the smallest things, and although we would continue to exist biologically, what would be the point?

And despite that a view on something is a necessity in living, it still drives wedges between some and creates bonds between others. It starts wars, solves them, destroys people and creates others. Little opinions, beginning as a tiny seed inside of us are provoked and taunted by our surroundings and fed by society and culture. Even claiming to "not have an opinion" is, in itself, an opinion by definition. You have made the judgement that the matter at hand is unworthy of your time and that you are more concerned with forming your opinions of other things.

And opinions contrast with fact. The antithetical opposite to opinion is fact: a thing that is known or proved to be true. So while an opinion is just a judgement, it is antonymous with a proven statement. Facts define us but opinions make us more than just an autonomous collection of limbs and muscles and organs. This thing, this collection of soon to be posts in a so-called blog, is really just opinions. My little opinions that may not have any impact on you whatsoever, but to me, are deep rooted beliefs that I will advocate to the grave and will always fight for. My opinion is to me as important as yours is to you, and while we may disagree within our opinions, all it is is a judgement, a conclusion based on the lives we have lead to date. In each others positions, it is probable that my opinion would be yours and visa versa. Additionally, remember that opinions aren't a solidified thing. They are fluid and susceptible to change, if you let them.

As people, we mould each other and thus mould each others' opinions - an incredible fact that should not fall prey to ignorance. If you will listen to what I have to say, I will pay you the same respect.

Would you say you are "opinionated"? Would you not agree that everybody is opinionated, and those who are labelled as such simply express their views with more passion and more frequently than others? Let me know.

- Charlotte

Share this:

CONVERSATION

6 comments:

  1. I'm not going to lie I am an extremely opiniated person, however the things I'm opinionated over are silly things, mainly more judgemental( which yes I know I shouldn't, but every needs to be just a little, how else would the world turn round) But I do have an opinion on basically everything I come across or thing I do! I love your first post, the language you use is so complex that I love it! x

    abigailjessicax.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Opinions are good! Justified judgements don't have to be a bad thing at all, the only time opinions verge on being harmful is when they do not take into account the people whom they may affect. Everyone would be boring if we didn't have views on everything! Thank you so much Abbie.

      - Charlotte x

      Delete
  2. I loved this first post charlotte ! - i'm a very opinionated person (as most people are) and i think although opinions are necessary and important , they sometimes allow us to create bartiers between one another and make pre-judgements!?

    Cayetana x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Charlotte, how are you only a Year 10...it amazes me how even with such a flawed education system teaching us to remebmber what we are told, individuals like you rise from the rubble to have a voice loud enough, that people will have to listen. I agree that I am very strongly opinionated, but I also believe a very strong part of being openly opinionated is based purely on confidence. That is the only section of your blog that I would challenge, as it is non-existent even though it is a fundamental part of sharing your opinion with anyone. Hand in hand with passion, confidence is a driving force to turn ones opinion and that has been proven through history, as strong leaders have the confidence to remove doubt from their people's minds. I am still in awe at your first blog though, you really should be proud, I couldn't do much better myself ;)

    Josh.V

    ReplyDelete
  4. Opinions are more than good. They are paramount to making the world a better place. You may think that is rather a grand statement but we can voice our opinions and discuss them and find ways to move forward to make the world a better place. We don't necessarily need to be confident to voice our opinions we just need to feel confident that our views will be listened to and respected. Listening to other people's opinions can help us fine tune our beliefs and motivations.
    Charlotte your articulation, passion, determination, care for the world and motivation astounds me daily and makes me very very proud xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am truly impressed Charlotte. This blog has completely blown me away. Your ability to philosophise deeply about something so dear to my heart in such an astoundingly mature and articulate way is wonderful. I especially relate to your open mindedness in how you consider both the negative and positive aspects, and realise that all manner of our opinions can have a variety of consequences. I love how entertaining debates can develop from conflicting opinions, yet I also feel that it is just as important to be aware of how to express those opinions in order to create the best environment for everyone to feel included and that what they have to say does matter. Thank you for your vision and for providing me with lovely philosophical thoughts to ponder today. ;)
    Holly x

    ReplyDelete