Notes To Self + A Small Train of Thought

As time passes I'm regretting more and more putting blogging as my DofE skill. Not because I have a lack of things to talk about, anyone that has had any contact with my in any way whatsoever will understand that could never be the case. But it's very hard to translate verbal language into coherent sentences that enforce my point under the pressures of the finality of publishing content online. I could easily rant for six or seven lengthy posts about how the connotations of western feminism shouldn't hinder your want to identity as an intersectional feminist, how reverse racism cannot and does not exist in this modern context, I could even discuss why and how I joined the Labour Party but I don't think that I could capture the constant reel of thoughts in my head well enough to do them justice. 

If necessary I could talk for hours and hours on end about my favourite novels, about book quotes or about musical theatre if only as a personal outlet for what is always present in a corner of my mind somewhere. Really, this isn't me asking anyone for ideas or inspiration or even for consent because, as you may have a realised, this is my blog and I'll do with it what I choose to do. But within that I have to dedicate an hour of my time to it per week starting from the 9th October so take this as a partial warning to expect the bare minimum and please, please do not hold me to anything I state here.

Which leads me on nicely to a train of thought that's been tugging at my brain recently; the concept that your beliefs and opinions are rigid, cemented and unchanging. Or rather, you are not entitled to backtrack and have a different approach to a situation than say, a month ago. For so many people, this is their strongest argument against giving 16 year olds the vote. Personally I still have no idea where I stand on this issue yet, but I do know that I find it easier to debate with people who are against such a problem. Readdressing the point, it's completely obvious that opinions are susceptible to change. Our opinions are products of the context in which we live our lives, it's the setting and environment and people that influence our opinions. And these things change! Everything around you changes, so of course your opinions, which are guided by your life's context, are going to adjust and change accordingly to such a context. Of course, under 18s are probably going to change their minds a lot more, but how in any shape or form does this mean they are unworthy of voting? 

I could easily argue against the 16/17 year old vote, don't get me wrong. But I don't agree with using the point above as a reason for them not to have it. 

So, this kind of turned into a sneak preview of a tiny, irrelevant corner of my head right now which is... good. I don't really know how to finish this which my train of thought is still running unfailingly. I hope you have a lovely week.

Charlotte

Share this:

, ,

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment